View Single Post
Old 23-07-2006, 20:05   #24
andrewb
God Member

Re: Lottery Grants in Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
All right, let's just say for one minute that I accept your point, Bagpuss. You have to look at the reasons behind it - let's take a few examples.

I have been involved in Oswaldtwistle Players for a long time and until relatively recently I didn't know that we could get grants for anything. We're a drama society who sell tickets for our shows which usually make more money than they cost to put on and if they don't we have a few reserves. If we were short of money we'd hold a raffle or a society evening to raise a few bob. Basically, taking the usual middle class route of raising funds.

Equally, my children go to St Mary's school in Osw, the PTA want to convert their playground to a more eco friendly environment. They too were going down the traditional middle class root of raising funds - raffles, fetes etc.

In the last couple of years since I have become more familiar with funding pots and how to do applications I have helped both groups get substantial amounts of money. Oswaldtwistle Players has set up a youth group (at no risk to the main group) and St Mary's are well on their way to getting their eco playground.

My point is that although the money is out there for all sorts of groups a lot of them don't apply for the money because they don't think they're that needy and will hold a raffle rather than fill in a form.

It takes just as much time and effort to fill in these forms. So you still can't fault the people who do take the time to go down that route.
Perhaps this is somewhat offtopic, but as I used to go to St Marys, and I drove past the other day and noticed an 'eco friendly school' sign... what exactly is an eco friendly playground?