View Single Post
Old 24-07-2006, 12:12   #30
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: The Post Office Is Dying. Long Live The PO.

Not quite off topic harwood red. Well sort of but I don’t mind because your information could be useful. I seem to vaguely remember that the tax disc buying facility at a post office is also under threat.

Today is pension day for me and I got to the Darwen Post Office at around 11:30am. I joined a queue some 25 people strong and only two other people were obvious pensioners. So 3 out of 25 isn’t exactly what some people have intimated. In any case I think that people will find that most pensioners like to get to the Post Office early. They have spent a lifetime getting up early for work and after 50 years or so it is a difficult to break such a long established habit.

I don’t have that problem. I get up when my body has had enough sleep and that could be at any time between 6:00am and noon. It all depends on the previous day’s exertion and what time I fell into bed. However if I happen to get up early (a rare occurrence) I still delay my Post Office visit until late morning because I can pick up a Telegraph at the same time.