View Single Post
Old 28-07-2006, 14:35   #14
Madhatter
God Member

Re: To Heat Or Not To Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Well if anyone of a technical bent can tell me anything about storage heaters and economy 7 I will be eternally grateful ! My leccy bills are astronomical for a 2 bed terrace;I have got shut of the electric oven and got a gas one but am still paying just under £130 a month for dual fuel!!!! The gas bill is tiny,it's all electric so it's gotta be the storage heaters....which have been turned off since May,am with Scottish Power by the way.
I'm more concerned with this, this is doesn't seem right. Not when you've got the storage heaters off. In fact I think thats high if the stoarge heaters were on.
Storage heaters on economy 7 charge up at night during your cheap 7 hours of leccy and store heat in thermal bricks, which then release it during the day. Hot water should also be heated at night, the economy 7 time clock on the immersion should switch it on. Economy 7 usually clicks over about 1 in the morning till 8, I can't remember if thats the summer time or winter though. You may be set up so that you get everything cheap or just your heating and hot water. If it's everything you'll have one fuseboard, if its heating hot water only you'll have two or a split one.

You should have two readings on the bill, one for day time and one for off peak, although you may have two for each, they lower the charge after the first 100 units on some bills.

Is it a quarterlly meter?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote