View Single Post
Old 29-07-2006, 13:17   #3
Busman747
Always EVIL within us

Re: The Education System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I've just got up and come straight here with a cuppa, and I really had to concentrate on that. Do you ever get like that your mind can't concentrate, or you've got that much going on or in a rush/panic that you just can't focus on the most basic things.
Not as far as simple arithmetic goes, There are basic short cuts ie: add a penny to round it up to a pound and deduct the penny from the answer. I taught my girls many of these simple shortcuts as they too lacked correct teaching from their schools in the 80's

Your comments illustrate my point perfectly Madhatter, you are literate, know far more than myself regards computers, probably got a few A Levels tucked away somewhere - - but struggle with simple maths that the older generation learnt at an early age.

At school nowadays, it is important to come up with the correct answer to a Maths problem using any electronic device available where as in the 60's, it was more important to show on paper how you arrived at the answer.