View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 23:24   #25
shakermaker
God Member

Re: Women in politics

I can see Busman's point, but I think confidence to speak in public is a bit broad.
For instance at the weekend if I play an acoustic night in a pub where it's just me & a geetah I won't freeze up but I'll enjoy it, with nerves fuelling more excitement. Whereas if I'm presenting academic work - it's like goodbye Shaker, hello 13 year old!! Quivering, voice all over the shop, sweating like a pregnant nun.
Maybe it's down to not enough praise for academic work in schools? It'd make sense to me. If young people learn in pivotal parts of their development that pride in academic success and being able to present their work brings praise & respect then it could serve them well in afforementioned circumstances.
Which brings me round to the point of the thread...sort of.
Politics circles around acceptance, and I think that if we are to see more women striving for success in politics then it is down to existing politicians to get their game sorted out. It must be off-putting to see the way women are treated in the sleazy world of politics, the hidden affairs & men-in-power abusing their status for all it's worth. I mean look at the Maggie - she had to practically become a testosterone fuelled walking ego to get ahead in politics. IMO that's gotta change.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote