Thread: Speed Limits
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 14:18   #3
Madhatter
God Member

Re: Speed Limits

Quote:
Motorists should remember that a speed limit is not an invitation to travel at that speed but the maximum that is allowed on that road. A driver should travel at a speed that they are comfortable with taking the road and prevailing conditions at the time into consideration up to the speed limit. One person may be comfortable to belt along whilst another may not. However if a driver is travelling at below the speed limit s/he should have regard for those vehicles behind and when possible pull over and let them pass. In general though drivers should ‘go with the flow’ unless it means breaking the prevailing speed limit
Quote:
Motorists going to slow create more accidents than motorists going to fast.
They cause the people behind to take chances and overtake them. It would help if they pulled over and let people pass that want to overtake if they choose to go so slow. I do.

I don’t suppose that there are any “C” class roads these days but all “B” class roads should have a 30 mph speed limit on them. Single carriageway “A” class roads should be limited to 40 mph. Dual carriageway roads in built up areas at 40 mph and 50 or 60 mph elsewhere. As for motorways I think that the current 70 mph is about right. If that limit were raised to 80 mph in reality that would put it at 90 mph before the speed limit is broken.
c class roads are uncategorised roads. The speed limits stated are ridiculas and would cause havoc on the roads, reducing them to a crawl, as will the governments silly propoasals. They want to make the whole of the stretch of the A5 from the M42 to the M69 40mph. It is interesting that they have built a dual carriage way in the opposite direction to join up with the rip off toll road, and that it will remain at 70 from the M42 to where the A5 joins the toll road. I'd like to know who paid for that dualing, because it certainly wasn't needed until the toll road was built. Bet it wasn't the toll road company.
After the toll road it will be 40 again.

Aridiculas situation where roads that should be 60 are reduced to 40, because the government doesn't want to spend money on them making them safe for the amount of traffic that they now have to handle. Junctions are another major cause of accidents and this is only because of an increase in traffic causing people to take risks, roundabouts and traffic lights would solve this but a speed limit is cheaper.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote