View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 13:06   #27
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: UK Airports at high alert

We are all taking for granted that the security services were telling the whole truth. Remember a while back when Heathrow was surrounded by heavy armour, no less, because of a ‘security alert’. Just exactly how many ‘terrorists’ were brought to book then? Where were the rocket launchers that were supposed to bring down a plane as it landed or took off?

Then there was the intense search of that house for a chemical bomb that wasn’t there.

By a strange coincidence it was only the other day that the introduction of ID cards was back on the agenda. Then yesterday some Minister was pointing out that we the general public would have to accept a reduction in personal freedom and liberties as part of the battle against terrorism. And now we have this major alert because the security services stated that there MIGHT be bombs in hand luggage on up to 10 planes leaving for the USA.

To counter this threat the authorities decreed that only certain items contained in a clear plastic bag (supplied by the airport) would be allowed as ‘hand luggage’ with the remainder going into the hold with the main baggage. Strange how the airport just happened to have clear plastic bags to hand for this purpose. Or was it strange? Just how many bomb making bits of equipment have been found? No one is saying. Is that because nothing has been found?

If the security lot were so certain that an attack was imminent they must have had reasonable proof or at least a strong suspicion. Don’t forget that it is the top person who gives the order to react and how and that person is singing from the same hymn sheet as TB and his cronies. If they had reasonable proof then a court case should be in the wind, with convictions to follow. With a reported 21 people in custody helping the police with their enquiries I await the outcome with interest but I won’t be holding my breath.

However I am certain that the security got wind of something and over reacted to make a point to the public that they are on the ball just to try and convince the doubting Thomases. Such a reaction would also reinforce the need for ID cards and/or further controls of the public’s liberties. A bit like that house without a chemical bomb. I mean 250 men to raid a small house? Really!

I have no doubt that there are terrorist cells in operation in this country but this government has its own agenda to gain more and more control over Joe Public and is using such incidents to frighten us into get its own way.

If the terrorist leaders had more than half a brain cell between them, and I’m sure that they are a darned sight cleverer than most of us, they would know that by committing an explosive atrocity would only get the people’s backs up and a resolve not to give in. However false alarms with an occasional real event would keep the security services stretched beyond breaking point and frighten the hell out of the public. Even farmer Giles up in the hills.

Once an explosion has occurred it is done and dusted and can do no more harm. A false alarm disrupts normal life for far more people and for longer. We found out during WWII when some bombs did not explode on contact. We and the Germans later realised that the advantages of dropping dummy bombs was such that a good percentage of the ordinance dropped on each other’s cities were dummies.