View Single Post
Old 15-08-2006, 19:57   #10
entwisi
God Member

Re: Bygone Petrol Prices

OK, brief tour of LPG

Your car is converted to run on gas instead of petrol, any petrol engine that can run on unleaded will run fine[1]. YOu get a tank in the boot/spare wheel well(which on yours is tiny so looks like a boot tank for you!) with a filler somewhere on teh car, I have mine on a bracket on the towbar so that I didn't have any holes cut in the body. Simply, as you start the engine it switches over to gas, you can switch back and forth at any time even whilst driving along. You tend to get slightly less mpg than on petrol, usually about 10% less but as opposed to 98.9/litre gas is about 40p so taking my example, I get 22 mpg on gas, but gas is only 40% of the. cost, so that means I get an effective 55mpg. So better than most diesels with the 200bhp turbo charged engine, volvo safety, leather and toys interior and a boot the size of a cave.

It costs in the region of £1700 for a top quality conversion. You can get cheaper kits but as with most things, you get what you pay for. Effectively it takes about 25K miles to get your cash back then its profit all teh way. Plus its environmentally friendly.

For an installer I can highly recommend Simon and Gary at Grange Lane garage (motorgas conversion) who have done my last 2 cars. They have been doing then for years now and really know their stuff.

Any questions please ask.

[1] Some vehicles with soft valve seats need a lubrication system called flashlube, not dear for the piece of mind it gives, I officially didn't need one but I put one on anyway as I want to get the far side of 300K on this car (160 and counting).

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote