View Single Post
Old 16-08-2006, 20:55   #9
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Should Harry Farr Have Been Pardoned?

Oh God yes, he should have been pardoned, along with all those men like him who went through Hell only to be treated worse than animals by their own side. I had relatives who served as private soldiers, NCOs and junior officers in WW1. Only 3 of them survived and one of those was so shell-shocked he never completely recovered his wits. It was fine for the senior officers to sit back, in safety, and decide the fate of young men who had endured unimaginable horror. If anyone deserved a firing squad it was them.

I saw a film, years ago, called "King and Country". It starred Tom Courtney as a shell-shocked young soldier who walked away from the front line and Dirk Bogarde as the M O who was appointed to be his advocate at the Court Martial. At the end of the film the soldier was shot. I cried when I saw it and I cried for many nights afterwards, I couldn't sleep. It brought home the absolute disgrace, injustice and brutality that was typical of those events.

A pardon can't bring those young men back. It can't make right the terrible wrong that was done but it can, at least, vindicate their memory for their families and give them back the dignity they deserve.