View Single Post
Old 20-08-2006, 23:53   #79
junetta
Senior Member+

Re: One Step Too Far

Rindy stated that it is the same when us English move to Spain or other European countries and I've found that is very true. There are English communities, English bars, English Churches, English companies and also English schools here in Tenerife. English Bank Holiday's are observed by English companies but ignored by the Spanish.

I live in a small Spanish village which is slowly being taken over by British, German and French........no-one asks if that's ok to the Spanish. I know we bring in money which helps the Spanish community but explain that to a kid who wants to buy an apartment but can't because the prices have doubled and shoved him out of the market.

My apartment is rented, I don't shop at Iceland, I drink in Spanish bars and have several Spanish friends. I also speak Spanish, even though I'm not fluent. I've seen ignorant English shouting, in English, to barmen as if the poor lads were stupid. It doesn't take much to learn how to ask for a beer and say please and thank you in any language.

At the other side of the coin. We don't try to change the way the Spanish live their lives and wouldn't even think of it. We enjoy their festivals and respect their religion.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote