View Single Post
Old 02-09-2006, 03:48   #5
mani
Senior Member+

Re: Trilingual Britain.

*L* whoo whoo? really? no way!!

well to be fair if u go india pakistan all the signs there are in dual language. to work in the airport or any other govt building u have to know english. even as far as the shop signs are in both languages even though the chance of getting someone who doesnt speak the native tongue is remote - and those that say its from the raj days etc its not the govt actively encourages this esp in the last 10/15 yrs. there was a time when all the progs on national tv in pakistan was all in urdu but the govt has greatly increased allowances for english progs in pakistan. so u get shows like friends etc coming across. and that for pakistan is a HUGE deal considering they are extreme when it comes to censoring and control.

i'm pretty sure dubai and saudi are the same though i know saudi is very unwelcoming to any other nationality apart from fellow arabs.

as for france thing - france actively encourages more usage of french than english since it was coming to a point when english words were replacing french ones in their daily general usage and the govt felt it had to stop this encroachment. the dutch however havent and alot of the local talking does include english words esp in the younger generation. the fact that in france only a very small percentage is given to non-french programming futher enhances this. france in my opinion has been very hostile to anything foreign. apart from the germans.

Last edited by mani; 02-09-2006 at 03:52.
mani is offline   Reply With Quote