View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 19:34   #3
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: At least some Councillors have a sense of humour

Thanks Neil. I was unsure whether to print the truth or let it lie as a funny story. Sometimes you have to have a laugh.

I was asking about the Bold Street Off License fiasco. Marlene as Chair explained why she had reversed her decision. After about half an hour on the phone (I rang her) she said;

MH "Oh by the way Clr Jones, I and the rest of my party are very angry (jokingly) with you. Peter, Brian Roberts, Brian Walmsely ... other names .... are all on holiday and you have called this by-election whilst we are away."
GJ (Must be a wind up).. well you don't have to field a candidate if you feel that way. Just think of the advantages. Not only can you saty on your holidays but you can save money, could be about £20,000 I dunno*, and all that walking up and down Spring Hill. You have budgeted for only one by-election this year and you have a by-election coming up in Rishton** to fund." (tongue in cheek)
MH (Seriously) I totally disagree with that. Are you suggesting we deny the voters a right to vote?
GJ (Jokingly) Oh no, don't worry Marlene that won't happen.... We will be fielding a candidate... (lol)"

* £20,000 - speculative guess?
** The gossip is all about 'the Rishton issue' and the need for a by-election there soon as well.

Newspapers:
The following day The Lancs Evening Telegraph phoned to ask all about this story. 'Clr Jones asks Tories not to field a candidate'. I laughed it off. LET don't print it. Following week Observer ring up same pitch. I said 'your having a laugh, what about policies and issues, don't you print them anymore?' Story is printed in Ob. Clr Haworth denies all responsibility that it was her that leaked the private phone call to the press. Says it was unidentified Tory colleague.

Meanwhile that week totally seperate;
Clr Tony Dobson gets 10 Tories in Spring Hill to sign the nomination form vouching for Munsif Dad. He goes to see Munsif at Spring Hill Community Centre and asks him to be the Tory candidate. Munsif says no, he has put his name forward for Labour. TD asks if he is not selected by Labour will he stand for the Tories. Munsif says no, he is committed to the Labour Party and if he is not selected he will canvass and support the Labour person who is chosen and work for them. TD says fair enough and leaves.

Tory Deputy Council Leader Tony Dobson approaches Deputy Labour Leader, Pam Barton and asks for private meeting. Clr Dobson meets myself, Clr Barton in the Labour rooms in Scaitcliffe House. TD suggests if we select Munsif Dad, he would be their choice and they may not field a candidate if Munsif is chosen. Will we come to arrangement and tell the Tories if we select Munsif, then they will consider not fielding a candidate as they think Munsif will make a good hardworking councillor. TD says they have had a selection meeting and Tories are split in whether to field a candidate or not. Can we ring them. I rang them, however they decide to field a candidate from Rishton?

Munsif Dad
I spoke with Munsif several times prior to him putting his name forward. He is a JP. I asked him about his previous loyalties and the current situation post Cantle/Burnley/Oldham and Hyndburn. I think he is a really nice guy, really committed to Hyndburn. Very honest and very straight.

Standing for the Tories
He stood for the Tories in 2001 in the County elections because he wanted to give something back to the community and the Labour Party had unsavoury people in Central ward (we did). He was led to believe that only the Tories could improve Hyndburn post George Slynn (Labour Council Leader for most of the 90's).

However he said he had come to believe that only the Labour Party represented his view on life and he had grown to dislike very much Conservative ideas and he is particularly upset by the current Conservative Council leadership. Munsif does a lot of community work and has had access to an inside picture on how rotten our Borough is. Munsif's committment to Labour was totally political from this point of view. Moreover Munsif feels Hyndburn has a lot of challanges and he wants to make Hyndburn better. He is not happy that the streets are filthy and the Community Wardens have been sacked as they did a lot of preventitive /community work. Another major concern is drugs from our conversations. He wants a crack down on drugs and drug dealers.

Religion
I explained to Munsif in our conversations that I believed religion is for the home (I actually think it should be protected in a Bill of Rights) and NOT in the public realm in any way. That faith schools (and gender schools) should be phased out and this was the view of many Labour Councillors. Munsif accepted this and was committed to talking about improving all of Hyndburn. Helping improve the Council estates in Spring Hill and sitting on all resident groups. He never doubted standing for Labour in the face of my views.

Being a Councillor for Spring Hill
I asked about what about if someone abused him, said they were a BNP voter and what was he doing about their problems in Spring Hill. Munsif said he would be help that person no matter what there politics if he was elected. He believed his role was to help all people which kinda brought it back to core Labour principles.

Last edited by g jones; 03-09-2006 at 19:48.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote