Thread: Organ Donors.
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 21:01   #8
mickmc

Re: Organ Donors.

I agree with all comments so far - it is the wish of the donor that should be uppermost

I carry the card, all my nearest and dearest know my views, I registered online for the organ donor register

However to take the pressure of the medico's, I think we might follow the Scandinavian model of " required request " in which, by law, the doctors in dealing with all cases where there has been a death - they have to , by law, ask the relatives, where no card is carried or registered as a donor, if they would consider donation

Most relatives at that point are too lost in their own grief and the doctors/nurses feel a bit timid of raising the subject

It would take the pressure off the medical proffesion who would then say "we have to ask by law" and may just give relative a nudge and time to think about the long term

I speak from experience of losing a son at 1 day old many years ago now, and now knowing of all the other babes that could have been helped if only we were asked. We were too racked with grief at the time and it was only later, hearing of other babies dying waiting for heart transplants etc that I asked the question " why weren't we asked ? " to be met with the reply - " well, we didn't like to ask at that time " - if they had been required by law to at least ask, the pressure would have been off the medical staff and it might have focussed our minds and alieviated our grief to know that at least we might help another child to live a happy and fulfilled life
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote