View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 17:00   #45
LancYorkYankee
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: Being screwed by employer....

I have an admitted bias against Unions over here in the states. They can get really viscious (not a much any more). Remember as a kid my dad having to work through a large telephone company strike. He wasn't any kind of big wig just a first level supervisor.

Guys who crossed the picket lines were physically harmed, rocks thrown at them and their cars, sand put in gas tanks, ugly crank calls made, etc. I remember specifically answering the phone as a little kid and having a guy on the other end say "your daddy's dead if he keeps crossing the line!" My dad never missed a day (actually in 45 years) cause of it but we kids had a scary time seeing him go each day.

It was the last time we kids were allowed to answer the phone during that long strike.

Like all things Unions started with such noble and righteous reasons. As we know the workplaces in the late 1800's early 1900's were atrocious. Unfortunately, like most great ideas, power and money destroys and corrupts. Then the balance shifts and we're all back at square one. It's a cryin' shame (IMHO of course).

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote