View Single Post
Old 28-09-2006, 14:39   #1
garinda
Give, give, give member

Old versus new technologies.

I've just made a bit of a boo-boo.

For ages I've been telling myself I should contact Blackburn College. Since being diagnosed with Parkinson's, all plans to eventually retire to Brittany and daub about with a paintbrush are no longer viable, as it now takes all my effort to even sign my name.

Some of the best and varied work I ever did was done whilst at Blackburn College on the art foundation course, work that was then used in my portfolio for degree entry.

My course tutor asked if he could keep my portfolio as an example to other students. I'd never really thought much about it, until I'm now unable to draw and produce anymore work.

Today I woke up and decided I would try and see if there is the slightest chance any of my work is still there after twenty three years.

After a search on Google I found the art department at Blackburn College. The tutors name was different, but that seemed reasonable after so long. I sent a Mr Huble an email, briefly outlining my request and the dates I studied there.

Twenty prompt minutes later my email was replied to.

Mr Huble was very sorry to tell me that there is no record of anyone of that name every having studied art at the college, and certainly no missing portfolio.

Disappointed I replied thanking him for his help, but insisted that I had defintely attended there on the given dates.

This is when I realised that the blurry photograph at the top of the page didn't look very familiar. On closer inspection I was shocked to see that the Blackburn College art department I'd been conversing with was actually in Illinois USA.

When I'd stopped laughing I thought using the telephone might be more my style.

I spoke to a very helpfull women in Blackburn Lancs, who is making enquires about my portfolio and is going to call me back.

Some people just aren't made to use new technology.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web