View Single Post
Old 18-10-2006, 17:29   #7
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: It’s Almost Tomorrow

I’m not a pessimist bullseyebarb. I am a realist. I look life squarely in the face. If life has a pessimistic outlook then I acknowledge it even though I have little or no control of what tomorrow will bring about.

Global warming is an acknowledged fact. The only dispute is who, if anyone, is responsible. Is it a natural cyclical phenomenon? If it is, is man’s activity exacerbating the situation? It doesn’t really matter because mineral oil is a finite resource. Sooner or later the oil will be so scarce that it will not be used to power electricity generating plants.

The polar ice caps are melting faster with each passing year. The seas are already rising albeit by a few millimetres but the each year they rise a bit higher. It is only a matter of time before coastal towns are flooded. A predicted 10 metres rise in sea levels would not only kill billions but lay waste billions of acres of arable land. Even just a one metre rise would have a disastrous effect on the world’s population. The Middle East oil fields would be swamped.

In short my imaginary scenario is a distinct possibility. Look what happened when the miners went on strike back in 1972 when industry in the UK went onto a 3 days week and there were domestic power cuts.