View Single Post
Old 20-10-2006, 20:56   #17
WarsawPact
Junior Member+

Re: Help with English History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee
How did the English common man feel about the Scottish?
As far back as recorded history goes, Northern England has been subject to raids from north of the border.
I'm sure the average English soldier would see it as quite a legitimate enterprise to try and stamp those raids out.

From a geo-political point of view too, most of Englands borders are protected by the sea. Little wonder that from the early Middle Ages to the last of the Jacobite Rebellions in 1745, our only land border was seen as a potential back door for any Continental aggressor - and political, military and economic efforts were made to secure Scotland against alliance with our stronger neighbours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee
I guess the same goes for the average young Englishman fighting the colonists. Did the English common man feel sorry for the colonists or consider them ungrateful wretches? (Personally, I felt bad for the English in this one!)
British Empire vs Revolting Colonials.
Having recently fought an expensive war to protect the Colonies against the French and their Indian allies, I'd have thought that the average redcoat would think it right that the colonists should pay for their own security- that's if they thought much about that sort of thing. Independant thought wasn't much encouraged in European armies of the time. I think they tended to fight for something (ie. the King and the Regiment) rather than against anything or anyone in particular.
WarsawPact is offline   Reply With Quote