View Single Post
Old 20-10-2006, 22:16   #181
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: What makes this a good forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter

Suprise suprise, type hyndburn lite in to google and what do you get. A slagging off post on here.

Hyndburn Life??? - Accrington Web
If you loiter on Hyndburn - Lite too long , you will be a certified schizophrenic ; all that time sat around , talking to yourself . __________________ ...
www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/hyndburn-life-6627.html - 111k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Excellent stuff well done.
Anyway with all the add on's I hope it will attract people and they'll post but if they don't never mind, It'll just be the poshest most expensive blog ever.
Does anyone know about web hosting and file structures etc?

In order to really understand our attitude to HBC's little baby you really needed to be here when it was launched at some astronomical cost with posters going up around town to encourage people to register and the little man peddling his bicycle hoarding - then we tried to join! That was when the majority of us found it impossible to do so.

There were faults on the forum which actually blocked people from registering, or once registered it then blocked people from logging on. Yet some of us soldiered on and did our best to explain to the moderators that the lack of membership participation was due to these problems, not due to lack of interest.

We were told to shut up and stop spoiling things and told we didn't know what we were talking about and should be grateful for such a lovely forum! I was one of those who persisted perhaps longer than most because I wanted it to work. I didn't want Hyndburn to look stupid by having a forum people couldn't use. One other member and I spent ages looking at where the problems were and pointing them out to the mods only to be told that they had no admin as such but would consult with the techno whizz who created the forum. However, nothing seemed to happen.

I traced the techno whizz myself and actually pointed out the problems people were having. I didn't do it in a critical or cynical manner. I did it in a "please can you help out so people can join" sort of way but I was patronised and told to go away and stop bothering my superiors.

The access problems were eventually acknowledge but by that time most of the people who would have joined had lost interest.

They did a thing where they invited Greg Pope to come to a specific forum and answer "live" questions from his office in the House of Commons - but they didn't let people just post questions for him to post replies to. They vetted every one first so it took forever and before we got much said time had run out.

Here on AccyWeb Greg is a member and posts freely when he has something he wants to say to us and no-one is vetted or censored before they are allowed to reply to him.

Hyndburnlife had great potential but unfortunately it simply didn't live up to all the hype. It doesn't help either than the main body of the website has many glaring errors and isn't kept up to date yet purports to be the source of information about the borough.

Accrington Web