Thread: Save Energy
View Single Post
Old 24-10-2006, 10:18   #17
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Save Energy

Quote:
Tourist spend money and create jobs
So it’s OK for Joe Public to cut down on his energy use just so that businesses in London can make extra profit steeljack. The god of money has spoken.

Quote:
No reason for most folks to be out after midnight unless you are up to no good
Agreed but what about those who do have a legitimate reason for being out after midnight. Are they to trudge around in the dark and be vulnerable to the ne’er do wells. Burglars and other criminals would just love dark streets.

Quote:
Do you have any proof that 25% of generated power is lost?
What do you mean by 'transit' and where is 25% of the electricty going?
Ask Jeeves to do a search for “Transformer losses” Neil and it will explain all.

That National Grid (those huge pylons striding across the countryside with wires slung between them) is the means of transporting the generated electricity to where it is required and in some cases the voltage is as high as 132,000 volts AC.

As Billcat has explained that all conductors offer some resistance to electrical current (unless the conductor is at absolute zero) but that is not all. There is the back EMF and transformer losses. Just think how hot your mobile phone charger gets and then try to imagine how hot a huge power transformer in a sub station would get although they are artificially cooled because otherwise they would get too hot.

When the power station generates the power it does not generate it at such high voltages for a variety of reason not least of which is insulation and safety. So the voltage has to be transformed up to that level for transportation and that is where there are power losses. It is more efficient to transport an electrical current at a very high voltage than the domestic 230v or industrial 440 volts three phase. Then that high voltage has to be transformed down to a useable value and there are even more losses. Depending on how many times the generated power is transformed to a higher value and then back down to a lower useable value will depend on the overall losses that can be up to 25%. Then there is the loss of when all the generated power is not used although to be fair the power stations are very good at maintaining a level of generated power that equates pretty closely to the demand but it is nearly always more.

The power losses are in the heat generated in the transformation from one voltage to another.

Now where did I say anything about “office hours viewing” Busman747? Nor did I mention anything about enforcing power saving by law.

It would help your view if you didn’t misquote people in some crass attempt to give that view credence.

I do my bit not to waste energy and if I want to run my PC, watch TV, run a washing machine etc it has got nothing to do with you. So stick your nose out!