View Single Post
Old 03-11-2006, 17:35   #12
SamF

Re: Your Country Needs YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb
You are a little too young yet to understand the necessity of maintaining a strong military. One of these days, you may grow to appreciate the many sacrifices made by those who serve your country.
A strong military is currently needed, that is obvious, as world peace seems a long way away. However why not use the military solely for defence, and not for policing the world. To counter-act the arguement that attacking another country is needed for defence I quote:

A pre-emptive war in 'defense' of freedom would surely destroy freedom, because one simply cannot engage in barbarous action without becoming a barbarian, because one cannot defend human values by calculated and unprovoked violence without doing mortal damage to the values one is trying to defend. - J. William Fulbright

And add the point that the war with Iraq has if anything made the chance of another big war even more. The USA and Britain, the supposed "Superpowers" are struggling to defeat a small country without a leader. Now any real threats will be thinking they've got a chance, seeing a 5 year old take Mike Tyson to the 12th Round would make Amir Khan consider his chances if you understand my point.

Also, please don't use my age as an excuse to not put up a half-decent debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
Good job previous generations didn't have the same morals
Would you be saying that if it was your great great great grandad that died when another man wanted some more land ?

Last edited by SamF; 03-11-2006 at 17:37.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote