View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49   #1
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Wear Your RED Poppy With Pride

Religious group calls for white remembrance poppy

Here we go again, the long established British Legions Red Poppy should not be worn, it should be a White Poppy according to one so called 'religious' group.

Quote:
Jonathan Bartley, director of the religious theological group Ekklesia="Whilst the red poppy implies redemption can come through war, the Christian story implies that redemption comes through non-violent sacrifice. The white poppy is much more Christian in that respect than the red variety."
Now I don't know about you but I always thought that the Red Poppy and the British Legion, was there to assist the wounded and their families from the many conflicts that we have and still are involved with. They haven't at any time tried to imply 'redemption of any form through war'.
The only political axe they wield is for the benefit of those servicemen, (and women), that have and are suffering because of war.

Whereas I suspect that some political significance can be gleened behind the 'White Poppy'.

Quote:
"Whilst apparently banned from wearing one symbol of hope (the cross), public figures in Britain are simultaneously urged, indeed in many cases required to wear another (the red poppy) almost as an article of faith," Bartley said.
What about the donations people make, almost everyone will buy and wear a Red Poppy with Pride, because they know and trust the British legion will be using the money collected for the benefit of the wounded.

Where will the funds raised by the White Poppy go?

I don't know but I suspect it won't be for anything to do with the ex-service people.

If you are out there and feel that war isn't the best thing for mankind that is fair enough, the majority of sane people will agree with you, but please don't try to hijack a symbol that has brought hope and relief to many a poor soul that otherwise would have been left to struggle after doing what they considered to be their duty and deserve all the help they can get.

Last edited by Less; 09-11-2006 at 10:55.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web