View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 11:14   #5
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Wear Your RED Poppy With Pride

The red poppy implies no such flippin thing and well he knows it! The red poppy was chosen not because it's supposed to be the shed blood of anybody but because red poppies sprang up spontaneously on the battlefields of Flanders in WWI. "In Flanders fields the poppies grow"

He's also got himself in a twist over Christian theology too - if anything, if he wanted to represent redemption it would be by a red flower representing the blood of Christ not a white one representing pacifism!

The white poppy campaign doesn't really represent anything at all except a cashing in on something which is there to support those ex-service personnel who were injured or the families of those who lost their lives in conflict. They already know there's nothing glorious about killing people.

I was so disgusted when I heard him say on the radio this morning that we should not have resisted Hitler by military means!

I have just been into town and put a cross on the little garden thing outsde the Town Hall and hope to be able to do so every year in remembrance of a man who, like your Grandfather Gary, did not come back to his young wife and child but died in 1916 and his body lies we know not where.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 09-11-2006 at 11:18.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote