View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 07:31   #792
entwisi
God Member

Re: Accywebbers Daily Trivia quiz Comp!!!

ok, we tried to post this last night but our internet is playing up at home at the moment.

do I cough to something, yes but not what you all actually think.

bodgeitbilly does actually exist. he is a mate at work and I would normally have a brew with him in the morning whilst he did the quiz and watch the Qs he got and what the answers should be. then it was easy to fly them out quickly using exactly the method I have described. I would say though that some subjects "bible triv" for one did repeat a heck of a lot of Qs and in those cases I didn't need to use Bills go.

As for IP tracking, in these days of routers and proxies, it is quite possible to have many legitimate users on one IP as you will only see the IP of the router/proxy server(i.e. NAT hides your individual IPs). However it is not hard to also use completely different IPs. e.g. I have access to teh following set of IPs,

Home
Work (LAN)
we have 5 seperate wireless LAN points at work each with their own IPS , I can switch between any of these.

dialup( I have three different accounts I could use) - turn off images and dial up is perfectly useable.

unsecured networks, - there are loads around, dead easy to hide behind someone elses IP (if youhaven't secured yours mel I could even appear as you!)

so IP is not reliable

Speed wise, nope no cheat there, once you know what words to look for you can fly through them.

In a way, raver blew the gaff by being so quick on brand new subjects If he had used his head and got a few intentionally wrong you probably wouldn't know for sure.

I do think that teh big issue is the fact that the server doesn't mix Qs during the day. Also if you create a few 'quizes' of your own and set the subject the same it doesn't take many days to get a good selection of teh Qs in your head. (not that I have done this method-yet!!!)

there was also a mention of how teh quiz could be done extremely quickly. I have mentioned this to a couple of people, Mel included, so now this is a come clean session I'll spill the beans on that as well,

I started working on a way to get a sub 1 second response time. what I would do is to write a program that effectively enters the quiz for me, it would make teh request to teh server, take the HTML response, parse it to get the 10 set of answers out of it, look them up in a database of already known answers and formulate the response to the server. in a quiz where all answers were known the response would be pretty much instant.

so smack my wrists if you like, I did say I have a devious mind

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote