View Single Post
Old 14-11-2006, 15:14   #1
garinda
Give, give, give member

HBC rubbish @ recycling.

It came to my attention today that Hyndburn Borough Council, the council that puts micro-chips in our wheelie bins and bangs on about wanting to be a Free Trade Borough, doesn't recycle any business waste produced in the borough.

Householders are being threatend with fines if we don't sort out and then recylce our waste. Fair enough, but surely all the businesses in Hyndburn, who pay business rates as well as extra charges for the removal of waste, produce a relatively large amount of rubbish which could be recycled.

I presume that the combined waste from all the bussiness in Hyndburn amounts to quite a lot, compared to that of household waste.

Surely if HBC pays lip service to green issues, and threaten fines, all waste in the borough should be recycled?

I wonder if all the rubbish from the various council offices and Town Hall, which must include an awful lot of paper, is recycled, or just dumped in landfill sites along with all the other glass, cardboard, paper, tins, and plastic that is produced by all the other businesses in Hyndburn?

I did my own little unscientific survey today in Accrington and Ossy. Out of fourteen businesses none had waste that was recycled, and all said they would. The owners of the Church Street Chippy said they had lots of waste that they could seperate easily, and thought the way it was all taken together to landfill sites was just a waste.

Either we are green as a borough or not.

Less political spin and threats of fines, and more action would be an illustration of a council who practiced what they preached.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web