View Single Post
Old 24-11-2003, 17:17   #4
Guinness

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Post Re: Speed Cameras or Revenue Collection?

Tealeaf you miss the point. Nobody is complaining that speed cameras are inherently wrong. It is the placement of said cameras that is the problem. Many cameras are placed where they will make the maximum revenue NOT SAVE LIVES!!

I presume you've researched your figures so I will accept them, I wonder how much these figures have fallen due to Speed Cameras.

As long as I can recall the stretch of Whalley Road at Harwood Bar was 40mph. No lives were lost to my knowledge. Some bright spark comes up with the idea (in this day and age of ABS etc..) of reducing the limit to 30mph (bear in mind that this is not a built-up area) and then sticks a camera at the top of a hill facing down. That in my opinion has been placed for revenue NOT for saving lives. Put it next to a school, an old folks home, in the centre of town...nah..they wont do that because it wont make any money. There are many other cameras placed like this throughout East Lancs, I use this simply because most reading this forum know of it.