View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 21:11   #1
jamesicus

Renewing acquaintance

A few years ago I was a frequent contributor to the World War II thread (Nostalgia ain't what it used to be) on this Forum. I hope to renew the Accrington Web friendships I formed then.

By way of an update ..........

I was born in Burnley at 5 Duckett Terrace (torn down now) off Accrington Road on 28 August 1929 and I lived and grew up in Burnley until June, 1950 when I emigrated to America.

I attended Rosehill Junior School (1934-1939), Towneley Senior School (1940-1944) and Burnley Municipal College (1944-1946).

I have very fond memories of growing up in Burnley (mostly in WW2) -- some of my cousins and old school friends (and ex-girlfriends) still live there. I always liked Accrington and visited there many times -- especially going to Saturday night dances via Train from Burnley in the late 1940s.

I was passionate about Burnley and Lancashire League cricket -- still am -- please visit my Web site A great Decade of Cricket: 1938-1948 http://jp29.org/adcdr.htm

My other great love/fond remembrance is Blackpool -- I spent great holidays there with my parents in the 1930s and early war years -- and Saturday night excursions (by train from Burnley Bank Top Station including a ticket to the Tower Ballroom) -- the fabled "Passion Express" -- in the post-WW2 years.

James
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web