View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 23:21   #35
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Are You A Haggler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Entwisi, Rind, how can you suggest that discount hunters are a pain when your achieving such a such a massive profit margin as you mentioned earlier when the customer is only trying to get a good deal for their money? Not a criticism just a question, I understand everybody has to make a living.

Rindy were you working for yourself? I can understand if you were because that will be your own money but entwisi you were protecting a firms money.

No, I was working for my old company, and wasn't on commission either, just a salary. It didn't really pee me off if people asked for discounts, it's just that our prices were fairly competitive already. A lot of other companies already marked up prices which allowed for discounts to be given, we didn't.

The advice I always give people is 'can you afford it, and is the price acceptable to you? If so buy it.'

I was always amazed at people who just bought things because they were 'on Sale'. They didn't care how much it was, or what the original price was, just that it had a red Sale sticker on, and so must be a bargain. It isn't always, as a lot of firms buy crap in for the Sales.

Happily I only sold to a few select customers, the rest of the time I was off buying ties etc in Italy and France. Spending money is always so much more fun...and I always wangled a discount.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote