Thread: nhs con
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 20:11   #8
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Post Re: nhs con

The NHS will always be a bottomless pit as far as money is concerned. It was originally intended to provide a free, accessible service to all, regardless of social and financial status. Over the years, as research has improved, treatments become more complex and expensive, new diseases identified it has become increasingly expensive to run. Treatment is now available on the NHS which is no longer life saving, ie. fertility treatment, reversal of sterilisations, plastic surgery (skin grafts, scar reducing treatments, etc)  and although treatments such as these undobtedly improve quality of life, the NHS was not originally intended to supply this kind of treatment.
Public demand dictates the services that are provided and healthcare is becoming increasingly complex. We have high levels of disease in this country due to lifestyle. Smoking, alcohol, obesity and poor diet. The NHS is now trying through public health consultants and nurses to put the emphasis of healthy living back onto the public, as they cannot expect treatment for diseases caused by their own bad habits, if they are not willing to take some responsibility for their own wellbeing.
Paperwork and red tape inhibit the jobs of many medical and nursing staff. Sometimes it is felt that there are too many organ grinders and not enough of us monkeys. As pressures increase, many nurses and midwives leave the professions to either retrain for something unrelated to nursing or are lured abroad for better working conditions, leading to staff shortages and increased pressures.
Recruitment of staff is difficult, as kids who are bright enough to do a degree are not tempted by nursing or midwifery, they want shorter working hours, better pay, company car etc.
There is no forseeable answer to these problems, despite what the governments tell us :

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote