Thread: Music Zone
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 16:56   #33
lindsay ormerod
Senior Member+

Re: Music Zone

Not a clue how much the rent is Mani;I think half the problem with this chain is that the manager never really had "ownership" of the store;you never saw your profit and loss,your overheads etc,if I had that kind of info I might have seen it coming! Maxwell,the Editors t shirts have already gone-shipped back to Warehouse ,presumably they were Sale or return and the Administrators wanted the cash back! The issue of people buying from the supermarkets has certainly had an effect;just to give you an example,Asda were selling Pirates of the Caribbean 2 dvd at £8.97 just before Xmas,that was nearly £5 cheaper than we were buying it at from our suppliers! So in the long run it's the supermarkets to blame I think; when customers ask me why it £3 cheaper at Tesco I just say we don't sell mushrooms or greetings cards which carry huge mark ups;and you could try getting a member of staff at one of the supermarkets to answer a music or film related question and see how far you get.We tried to be competitive and to be honest we are better than HMV but it's the same old story,sadly it's like history repeating itself,the Our Price here made money and was well used but that wasn't enough to save us;I am looking for a career change now,retail just isn't a safe bet any more.
Thanks to all of you guys who shopped with us;I reckon we may have another fortnight of hanging on with ever depleting stock!