jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Spring Has Sprung

Spring has sprung, the grass is riz,
And I know where de boidy is.
De boid is on the wing but dat’s absoid,
I always taut de wing was on de boid.
Anon

My garden, not noted for its aesthetic qualities unless tall grass is your delight, is barely 11 days into the New Year and is already showing positive and definite signs of Spring.

Last Autumn I planted 100 Snowdrops, 25 Siberian Bluebells, 20 Crocuses and a dozen Muscari. I think that the common name for them is Grape Hyacinth.

Mindful of a marauding grey squirrel that does its rounds a couple of times a day I planted the bulbs an inch or so deeper than recommended in the hope that the squirrel would not notice. I am thankful to report that the squirrel ignored my gardening efforts and left the bulbs alone. I guess that a table full of nuts next door was more to his/her liking or maybe it was my whisper in his/her earhole that if s/he has a go at my bulbs it will be magically turned into a pair of gloves. So well before Xmas the lot where poking their collective heads above the soil and are now beginning to flower. Indeed during what we have laughingly referred to as Winter, my other attempt at communion with nature, the planting of Primula Primroses, flowered continually until a few days ago but the plants are healthy and are no doubt preparing for a brilliant Spring display. Primula? That’s what it states on the tag. That’s a soft cheese spread, isn’t it? I look forward to the growth of at least one box of soft cheese spread per plant - in late Spring perhaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden1.jpg (159.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg garden2.jpg (275.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg garden3.jpg (217.6 KB, 10 views)