View Single Post
Old 14-01-2007, 00:18   #25
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: mothers sent home 4 hours after giving birth

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to stay in hospital after a normal birth. Most of the available research supports mothers going home with their babies after normal births. The care in the community in the UK is really good in comparison to the USA and other westernised countries so we therefore have the infrastructure to support early discharges. What we do not have is the infrastructure to keep everybody in hospital, and some people would stay for weeks (if you let them).
Funnily enough, the people who usually want to stay are those who have had several children, probably because they would get no rest at home.

It is worth remembering that it is not too long ago when most babies were born at home. The home confinement rate is increasing again. In cases of normality, I would fully support any mother wishing to deliver at home or be discharged early from hospital. Mothers are always given contact numbers for the hospital, the midwife and breastfeeding support before discharge. We do not throw people out unsupported.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote