View Single Post
Old 21-02-2007, 10:41   #75
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Gay Parade For Accy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Well if he wants to organise one all by himself good luck to him - but a one man carnival will be a pretty boring affair.

Like Garinda I too believe there is no need for separation in our community. It's a bit silly really. I mean 'gay rights' means nothing when no-one has any more or less rights be they gay or straight, similarly married couple, unmarried couple, living togther, living apart, single individual .......... etc. We're all the same, all human beings who live in Hyndburn................. I'm not sure I make sense. I know what I mean but it's hard to explain in words.

I understand what you mean, and agree.

The whole history of gay pride marches started in the early 70's by a small group of people at the LSE. They wanted to show a positive, visible presence, at a time when there was only negative media coverage around the issue. There was also inequality in law regarding some aspects of homosexuality, that they wanted to challenge.

Happily we've moved on, in no small part to the current government changing some of the more antiquated laws.

Bye bye ghetto, and hello to living as part of the wider community.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote