View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 19:32   #24
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Tony Blair..good bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
isn't there more Civil servants now than there has ever been though west ender? Perhaps its just coming down to a sensible level. with regard to underpaid, there was an article recently that looked at teh whole package including pensions etc and found that public sector was way ahead of those whe worked in teh private sector.

No, there are far fewer than 30 years ago, doing twice as much work (or trying to).

Regarding pay, most people equate Civil Servants with the "higher" Civil Service and, I quite agree, many of them are very well paid. I'm referring to the "groundforce", the workers who get the real jobs done - the people whose jobs are on the line. The absolutely top pay for them is just over £18K, despite the amount of knowledge and skill they need to do the job well and the degree of responsibilty they require - probably equal responsibilty to an office manager in Industry. The final salary pension, which is being phased out, works out that such a person could retire with a pension of £9K a year - if they have put in 40 years service. Twenty years would give them £4500 a year. It's not a free pension either, we have to pay for it just like anyone else. If there are any other "perks" perhaps you could tell me what they are - because I don't know about them.