Thread: New bulbs.
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 15:10   #59
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: New bulbs.

Many people have put forward the night-time street lighting idea forward entwisi. There was burglar Bill and burglar Wally and ……. well you get the drift.

I’m not saying that having the streets lit at 3 o’clock in the morning will discourage a burglar because it probably won’t. He usually goes round the back anyway. But no lights might just encourage more. No street lights would also encourage vandals plying their trade on parked cars.

The point about these LE bulbs that some people don’t seem to have considered is the amount of energy consumed in making them compared to making a normal bulb. It has to be more. If were to hazard a guess I would suggest that the net result will be that the normal light bulb is more energy/cost efficient than the new LE bulbs.

I don’t know if anyone saw the news a few days ago where it was reported that a couple in the Lake District set up their own hydro electric scheme. It took them many years to get the planning permission required but now they have a small hydro electric unit that generates 300Kw which they sell the surplus to the National Grid. They reckon that it will have paid for itself in 10 years time and will last for more than 50 years with just minimal maintenance.

I accept that not everyone can do that but a massive hydro electric plant would be even more efficient.