View Single Post
Old 13-03-2007, 10:46   #17
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: council tax bill?

I would much rather that every individual paid for what they use and think that it is a much fairer system. We contribute through tax and NI to cover most national services and fair enough, we may all need to use them someday but the system that we have is unfair.

As an example, my contributions will help to fund education for children, fair enough but......many of us don't or can't have children but still continue to fund other people's children. However, when I did a degree, I had to pay for it myself as well as paying through my contributions for other people's children to be educated... Do you see what I'm getting at?

They have a system in New Zealand whereby you pay for what you use. For example, many areas over there have councils which sell official bin bags in the supermarkets. These bin bags are more expensive than your normal bag but it covers the cost of removal of the rubbish. Therefore, the more bags you fill with rubbish, the more expensive it becomes for you, so you pay for what you use. Sounds much fairer to me and seems to be catching on in more areas over there now.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote