Thread: New bulbs.
View Single Post
Old 15-03-2007, 09:03   #129
DeShark

Re: New bulbs.

It's not pseudo science. It's physics. Of course your lighter will power the calculator. It's hot. It emits IR. What Cyfr said about solar panels measuring energy was wrong. Clearly. That's why I chipped in. I wasn't expecting to prove anyone right nor wrong just clear things up.

Quote:
All someone has to do is to get a solar powered calculator and subject it to various light sources of different colours and brightness, known as light intensity
Intensity, Luminance, Radiance, "Brightness", etc, are all very well scientifically defined, but often interchanged in real life. Intensity and Radiance are about the total Energy per second emitted. Brightness and Luminance incorporate both the colour of the light (and the human eye's sensitivity to each colour) and how intense it is. Therefore a bulb which emits solely IR light is not bright. Nor is it luminescant. It doesn't emit any lumens. The incandescant bulb is almost certainly more radiant. It emits more energy per second but is just as bright (as near as makes no difference).

I hate to quote wikipedia but...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_c...harge_carriers

If you won't accept that the frequency/energy makes a difference I'm wasting my time. I'm not that bothered that you won't accept it. Even if you do accept it and don't tell me I'm not bothered. Argue til you're blue in the face but I've backed up my argument with sources. Your information is based on an experiment carried out by you - unobserved - without adequate scientific apparatus. No graphs. No sources of information for your theoretical beliefs. No written up report. As a result it's sketchy information at best.

Quote:
The infinitesimal distance difference between various colours is nit picking in the extreme.
What infinitesimal distance? We're on the scale of atoms and molecules here. It's a big difference between 500nm wavelength and 800nm wavelength!
DeShark is offline   Reply With Quote