View Single Post
Old 27-03-2007, 06:50   #60
g jones
Senior Member+

Re: Councillors in Hyndburn - Are they fit for purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
Mr Jones,

Thank you for the valuable insight, allowing readers to gasp at the lamentable antics from representatives of the mainstream parties in the Central Ward. Surely no one in Hyndburn can prosper from such stupidity, save those seeking to elect themselves.
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his job depends on not understanding it. The thesis that Safdar would not have been elected on the basis that he had been ‘talking to the Tories’ is as laughably foolish as the notion that he found support from ‘older members’ as a result of his robust service to the party over the years. One only has to consider the profiles of current Councillors of Asian origin to note that most have at some stage been affiliated to both Labour and the Conservatives, either as members, candidates or serving councillors. Thus the assertion that there is a strong sense of party loyalty is tenuous at best.
The alternate theory you propose sounds far more plausible. In fact I think it likely, though like yourself I have no tangible evidence to prove the same, save to point out that this is not the first time I have heard this.
Indubitably, Safdar would not have been successful in the Central Ward. The odds were clearly stacked against him, and thus there may have been other reasons for him seeking the candidacy. I decline further commentary on this issue, for fear of making an egregious remark.
Separately, I am not sure if Safdar thought through the likelihood of success in the Church Ward. In my considered view, the chances of him being elected are increasingly moribund.

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
I shall return later in the week.
I simply told the thruth, warts and all, how I was told it or saw it. Nothing more or less. I actually don't know much more than what I wrote. I think your being pedantic over a word or so when most peole accept the thrust of the Observer article was ball park 95%+ what is on here.

You seem to think I am Zen and know everything about everything, I am not and I don't. Only knowing 95% of an issue should not disbar someone from passing comment 'in the debate' who can offer some light on a matter of interest.

Last edited by g jones; 27-03-2007 at 06:55.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote