View Single Post
Old 30-03-2007, 16:48   #226
gondola
I am Banned

Re: Councillors in Hyndburn - Are they fit for purpose?

''The only way to sort it out is at the ballot box on election day''

That is true, save when the candidates put forward are all considered unfit for office. In that case the disillusioned voter chooses not to vote and thus becomes a part of the rapidly growing non-vote. I think there has to be a debate about the credentials, integrity and merit of those seeking to become candidates. This was clearly highlighted here this week when I alerted readers to the fact that Mr Safdar had agreed a pact with the Tories prior to him being forwarded for an internal election for the Labour Party. I also detailed the fact that he had lost by one vote, and that had he won he would have been supported by his party.Had he won, the Labour party would have imposed a candidate on those that adhere to their principles, in effect forcing them to choose a man they suggest has no integrity or not to vote. That is not democracy at it's best.

Incidentally, so far as regards the state of the Council's finances, perhaps Mr Britcliffe needs to ensure that those that swindel the coffers of the Council and organisations affiliated to it, are subjected to the principle of law enforcement and made to pay back that which they have swindled. In that way, the balance sheet would look rather more robust.
gondola is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web