View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 11:37   #15
glasgow guy
Senior Member+

Re: Would it be wrong of me to ask for a different

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I don't know if it's down to PC and equal opportunities/rights or whatever but I don't understand why people with strong regional or national accents do telephone answering type jobs
did you actually think about that before you typed it ???
that has to be one of the daftest things I have read on this board..sorry willow but I dont know whether to be offended or laugh...and you actually sound quite ignorant as its got nothing to do with equal rights or pc'ness..never heard of a call centre being built purely for those who fall into the equal opportunites bracket ???
so you may have 15 years experience working in a call centre, worked your way up to a manager etc..basically been there seen it and done it but because you have a strong accent you shouldnt be doing it ??
the simple fact of the matter is that people - regardless of where they may come from and whatever accent they may have - have to work - if thats using a phone then so be it..just because you dont understand them is not their fault...look at the flip side of it...what about scottish people phoning a call centre down here and struggling to understand a heavy lancs accent ...does what you said apply there too ?....if that was the case there would be no telephones would ring or be answered as everyone who has a strong accent would have resigned..people will have a strong regional accent compared to someone else...and no one would understand anyone...the scenario could be that scousers cant understand a brummie accent, londoners cant understand a yorkshire accent and lancs people cant understand a scottish accent..like a I say theres a flip side to everything...do you know what I mean?
I am scottish and have a strong glasgow accent - I also answer the phone in work and I also contact various companies..should I leave my job incase someone doesnt understand me ?...yeah right..
and skys main call centres are in both in scotland...so the chance of you getting someone who isnt scottish is pretty slim...

sorry to sound narked willow but that did get my back up slighty...

and for the original poster - why didnt you just tell the guy you couldnt understand him ?
I am sure he would have spoken more slowly for you..he proabably gets it 30 times a day...

Last edited by glasgow guy; 06-04-2007 at 11:43.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote