View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 08:57   #3
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: how much ethnic blood do you need to be a minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

There's an amusing opposite to this with a friend of mine who comes from the West Indies and is very dark skinned. Somewhere back in her ancestry there's a Scotsman, the only 'white' ancestor she's aware of but boy oh boy is she Scottish - with a vengeance. She displays her tartan, eats haggis and loves bagpipes. What about her other 30+ non Scots ancestors?
Yes, it is strange how people will choose their ancestry, when working in Canada my son and his friends met a Canadian that claimed to be Irish because his great, great, great, grandmother was from the Emerald Isle.

This person was drinking Irish Whiskey and stated that he drank Guinness whenever he could get it, because the group of them were obviously 'British', he was deriding the English and saying how they had mistreated the Irish.

Eventually my son told him, "you are not Irish, you are Canadian, I on the other hand am English because I was born in England to an English father and an Irish mother, I have more right to call myself Irish than you have, I could even have an Irish passport if I wanted, but I was brought up in England and therefore I choose to be British, Now, having educated you a little, it's your round I and my English friends will have a pint of lager each which comes from neither England or Ireland, we drink it because we like it".
Less is offline   Reply With Quote