View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06   #13
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Woman loses final embryo appeal

I do feel incredibly sorry for this lady. Obviously at the time of the decision to freeze the embryos her boyfriend was all for it. However, even having given consent, he has every right to withdraw it, a right which we all have. If the right to withdraw consent is taken away it would potentially affect us all.

Presently, when we consent to medical treatment, operations etc. we can withdraw our consent right up until the time we are anaesthetised. I have known people do this because they are unsure of the outcome of the procedure.

I would have thought that this couple were carefully counselled prior to freezing the embryos, if so, they would have been warned that either party could withdraw consent at any given time. If they weren't given that information at the time, then future couples probably will be.

My sympathies are with Natalie Evans but all is not lost. There is potential for a donor egg, fair enough, the baby would not be genetically hers but if she is serious about wanting to have a child and is physically capable of carrying a child then it is definitely an option, as is adoption.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote