Thread: Why?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52   #7
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Why?

Well I'm one of those 'religious people' I suppose and Easter Sunday is the celebration day for me so that's the day to eat yer eggs!

Good Friday is definately a no-no for egg eating as Friday was they day of the Atonement and Crucifixion and is therefore a sombre and reflective day. Saturday was the second day, the Jewish sabbath when basically not a lot happened as far as the disciples were concerned. Jesus' body had been laid in the tomb on the Friday eve before the start of the Sabbath and then the Saturday was their holy day and day for not doing anything. The third day, the Sunday, the day after their Sabbath was the day when they could do things again and Mary Magdalene went to the tomb - remember they hadn't had time to embalm him or anything on the Friday because Sabbath starts at sunset. (good job too!) But instead of finding a body she found an empty tomb - and the risen Christ.

So Sunday, the third day, the day he rose from the dead is the celebration day and the most obvious day to me to chomp on the celebratory egg or two. Mind you, the number of eggs our kids got from friends and each other they will still be eating them a week later!!

Hope that explains it from a religious person's point of view anyway

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote