View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 22:30   #52
claytonender

Re: how much ethnic blood do you need to be a minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I would not consider commenting on the "ethnics" of Accy, and how Accringonians handle their presence. When I was growing up in Clayton the nearest thing we had to an ethnic minority was the French onion seller. Oh, and an Italian barber, I forget his name. But whenever I see the area on TV, and we had some footage of Muslims in Blackburn recently, I see that the presence has changed. I don't live in Clayton any more, even tho sometimes I am sorry that I left ... guess that's my roots tugging at me. All I feel able to add are a few comments from a foreign country. And even tho' Canada is a lot like England, a lot more than it is like America, it is still a foreign land, in all senses of the word. What I do see is that there is a lot less racism in Accrington than one would expect, given the size of the minority groups in the area.
The Italian barber was called Bacigalupa (I know the spellings not right ), he had a shop at the corner of Whalley Road and Canal Street (If my memory seves me right). I remember my dad saying he was also a bookie's runner in the days when there weren't any betting shops and off course betting was illegal.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote