View Single Post
Old 18-04-2007, 19:13   #15
Eric
God Member

Re: How "bad off" are Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Darn straight we did Rindy. We knew you British were building a huge military force in Grenada and we had to take you down!

The reason I submitted the thread was more to show how spoiled/ill-informed we as Americans have become. Thank you Eric for the sentiments that very very few of our Politicians and even fewer of our Media outlets share the typical Americans view on things!

So Margaret for all your hatred against everyone in the USA, your facts that everything America has done in it's 400 years of existence has been to rape and pillage and give nothing back to the world is merely your very narrow minded opinion (IMO).

Trust me, I would not think there is any American who has ever fully supported everything our government has done. Either good or bad.

For example, WWI many Americans (including all of my family) thought we should have gone in much earlier. Then there was the bunch who still thought we should never have gone in. I feel the same way about WWII.

All I'm saying is please don't lump us all into this one pile of manure as you see it. We have many individual piles of manure here in America. Some use it to stink people away. and others use it as a fertilizer to assist in the growth beautiful flowers and delishes fuits and vegetables.

Now Barb, slow down and breathe! Everyone has varied opinions and I'm glad we are able to share and explain various sides of issues!
I do know that it is very easy to sit back and bitch at the Americans. But America is huge, immensely powerful, and unbelievably diverse. It's so hard to talk about America without falling into generalizations ... that is why so much criticism doesn't seem fair. One can generalize about the government because it has policies and agendas, but it does not speak for all Americans, nor does it represent them all. Some things bring Americans together, the VT tragedy will do it, 9-11 did it, support for the troops in Iraq does it. But on all other issues Americans are as divided as are those in other great democracies.

Perhaps one can see the weakness of America in its power, and its strength in its diversity.

America is, among all nations, the world's celebrity. It is there, in the news all the time. But like all celebs, it is scrutinized, criticized, castigated, ridiculed, in fact, subject to all the forms of nastiness that living in the spotlike brings.

Perhaps this is a fair price Americans have to pay for having it so good. After all being rich and unpopular, as a country, is a hell of a lot better than being weak and impoverished.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote