Thread: Family Tree.
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 13:42   #2
Uncle Mick
Full Member+

Re: Family Tree.

I`m doing my family tree at the mo and went after all four branches at once, paternal and maternal grandparents, not the best way of going about it! A few of the golden rules are;

Get oral histories from living relatives, it will back up the evidence you collect or you may need ot quash it. Auntie Jean may not be your auntie just your mothers best friend!

Start with a quick family tree written down to show relationships, it could soon get complicated.

Get some lever arch files and plastic wallets for documents and keep them in order.

Use the local history societies, they are always pleased to help.

Genes Reunited is always a good place to start, someone may have already started research on your family. I have about 12 contacts with various members of the Allonby clan from all over the world.

It can be expensive, sending for birth, marriage and death certificates are £7 each and subscription to sites like Ancestry can be quite dear. Most libraries offer free access to Ancestry which is a very useful site.

Use the library. Accy has parish records and census returns together with transcriptions of various cemetaries and back editions of the Accrington Observer

You need a lot of patience!!!

Good Luck