Thread: Family Tree.
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 20:07   #7
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Family Tree.

One of my brothers started to research our ancestors over 20 years ago. If I tell you he's still doing it, avidly, you'll know how involved you can become and how much there is to research.

He has been to St Catherines House many times, visited Registrars' offices all over the North of England and used dozens of internet sites. Having traced both our parents' ancestors back to the early 17th century he has, since, diverted into various branches and is constantly turning up "new" distant relations, many of whom he's in touch with.

There are a few sites on the net that I've looked at though my efforts are nothing compared to his. The 1901 Census is useful and there's a site called Free BMD (births, marriages and deaths) which has records back to 1837. The Mormons' site is also very helpful and gives details from various censuses if you find the right person.

Good luck with your research but remember - it can be very absorbing. The stories you unearth are sometimes amazing and sometimes very sad.