View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 17:38   #32
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: what age should a child be left in on their own??

Most children had a great deal more responsibility for themselves in the 40s/50s. From the age of 8 I went to and from school alone - West End to Church on the bus then up to Moscow Mill St to the old St Marys school. Home the same way except for warm Summer afternoons. Then I would walk to Moor End, through the fields and across Tinker Brook, coming out on Thwaites Rd (no houses or flats then), alone or with other children and playing on the way.

Every August from age 9 until I was 14 I went to stay with my aunt and uncle in Whitley Bay. I was put on the train at Accrington, alone and with instructions - and a tip - given to the guard to keep an eye on me (if I was lucky I saw him a couple of times), and a reserved seat. I was met at Newcastle by my uncle.

I was about 9 when I was first allowed to go into Blackburn on my own. I went, that first time, with a shopping list - cheese for mum from the market and a reel of black cotton from Woolworths. I was so proud to be trusted that I've never forgotten.

I was 10 when my dad got his first post-war car - 1953. Right up until I got married it would never occur to me to ask him to take me anywhere. If I went out it was under my own steam.

Perhaps it was a safer world, then, but it wasn't a perfect world. Children were warned about "strangers" and danger just as much then as now, but we were given a measure of independence that probably appals many of you today. It's just the way things were.