View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 18:26   #33
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: what age should a child be left in on their own??

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Perhaps it was a safer world, then, but it wasn't a perfect world. Children were warned about "strangers" and danger just as much then as now, but we were given a measure of independence that probably appals many of you today. It's just the way things were.
There was alway 'bad men' about when we were young Westender .. seen many a flasher down a back street as you walked past and followed home on a few occasions myself; child sex crimes have not increased as time has moved on.

Seemingly, was only taken to school on my very first day at Infant School by my big brother, after that was on my own .. never, ever did my mum walk or wait at the school gates for me. Wasn't too far to Peel Park from William Street anyway. Ok... traffic was less, but there is a crossing now across Burnley Road to Alice Street and possibly lollipop lady? Remember though school runners, as we have covered this subject many times before, that a child is in more danger of being involved in a road traffic accident in a car on their way to school, than being hit by a car whilst walking.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote