Thread: Mean and rude!
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2007, 16:34   #26
Eric
God Member

Re: Mean and rude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Yep heard that before , think the G.I.s answer that was , (about the Brits) underfed, undersexed and under Eisenhower
actually, I think it was Churchill who said that the problem with the American troops is not that they were "over there" (which if my besotted memory serves me right is the title of a patriotic American WW1 song) but that they were "overpaid, oversexed, and over here." But during the first war, English troops, and my grandad rememberd this, called Candians "f***ing five bobbers." This was a referrence to the fact that they were paid 5 bob a day as opposed to the British troops who were paid a shilling. (But Canadian tourists are still the most popular visitors in Holland, which was liberated by Canadians in WW11.)

Maybe being an A**hole in someone else's country is common for many overseas visitors. But many Candians put up with a lot from visitors, after all, they bring in the big bucks. Kingston's major industry is tourism, and with Canada's booming economy, backed by our abundance of natural resources, the strong Canadian dollar will keep many Americans away. They, and their money, will be missed.

By the way, you are all welcome to visit, and you can bring any bad habits you may wish. Unfortunately, Barb will have to check her guns at the border.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote