Thread: Secret Troughs!
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2007, 15:22   #6
Greg Pope

Re: Secret Troughs!

Hi, I'm happy to explain where I stand on MPs and freedom of information. First of all I didn't vote on this Bill because, like most MPs, I had arranged to spend that Friday on meetings in my constituency (some Fridays like that one are set aside for Private Members Bill which MPs don't have to be there for. Most MPs had already made long standing arrangements when this Bill came forward). However, I want to make it absolutely clear that I am in favour of publishing MPs' expenses; I published mine on my website before MPs had to do so and I still publish them in advance of most MPs - I believe strongly that the people have a right to know exactly how much I cost the people. I am opposed to exempting Parliament as whole from the Freedom of Information Act - obviously the same rules should apply to Parliament as to ther public bodies.

However, there is a problem that does need addressing even if this Bill is the wrong way of going about it. Some correspondence from MPs on behalf of constituents has ended up in the public domain because of the FOIA and it seems that the current Data Protection rules aren't adequate to prevent this - I do believe that people have a right to confidentiality when they go to see their MP.

Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote